Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Super-Watts Family Reunion 5k

We did a family 5k run this last weekend up at our family lodge near Bear Lake.
There were probably somewhere between 30 and 50 of us up there.  I designed the t-shirts, so I told my wife she had to run it with me so that she could earn a shirt.  She typically hates running.  I promised her I would go slow and carry our 14 month old baby in my arms the whole way.  We started at about 9:00 am and power-walked the whole thing.  It took us about 1 hour and 18 minutes.  I typically jog 2.5 miles 3 times per week, and I won the first 5k (ours is actually 3.7 miles) we did back in 2010 with a running time of 31 minutes and 5 seconds.  My cousins kept asking me this time if I was going to win again.  After power-walking it, I decided to take off and make a real time for myself.  I don't know what my problem was, but I had to stop 6 or 7 times during the jog because I felt like I was going to collapse.  I usually NEVER slow down while I jog, I start and keep going the whole time.  Maybe I was a little worn out, or maybe it was the hot summer pavement radiating heat beneath my feet.  My time ended up being 34 minutes.  My cousin Brian beat us all with a 30 minute time.  Oh well, no one else can say that they carried a 20+ pound baby the first time and then ran the race a 2nd time in the same day!  I made my own history, and a fun journal entry.  The illustration above took about 2 hours and I did the final in Illustrator.  What a relief!  Most of the stuff I work on these days takes a lot longer than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment